> Patient and Family > Commonly Asked Patient Questions
Answers to Questions Commonly Asked by Patients
- A lack of calcium will not cause scoliosis.
- Poor posture does not cause scoliosis.
- Carrying a heavy book bag does not cause scoliosis.
- Scoliosis is minimally painful in adolescence, but can become so in adulthood.
- Braces do not make the spine straight.
- Smoking does interfere with bone healing.
- The metal implant (spinal instrumentation) does not rust, and is not subject to rejection by the body.
- Surgery does not interfere with normal childbearing, nor does mild or moderate scoliosis.
- Spinal deformities are not contagious.
- At present, there is no known prevention for spinal deformities.