> Patient and Family
Questions for Patients to Ask
Questions to ask your physician:
- What is scoliosis?
- What causes scoliosis?
- How do you correct my deformity?
- Is surgery the only solution? What other options are there?
- Will I need more than one surgery?
- What testing is needed before my surgery?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Can my parents stay with me in the hospital?
- What are the risks of surgery?
- How long will surgery last?
- Should I or someone else donate blood? Will I need a transfusion?
- Where do you get the bone that you use? Is there another method?
- Will I be in a lot of pain?
- Do I need to wear a brace after surgery?
- How soon after the surgery can I shower or wash my hair?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What kind of physical limitations will I have?
- Will I lose flexibility when bending over/ability to walk/range of motion?
- When can I go back to school or work?
- When can I be active again? (Play sports etc)
- Will having scoliosis limit the type of jobs I can do?
- Does pregnancy affect scoliosis? Will I be able to have children?
- Looking for resources: Who can I talk to or what can I read to better prepare for surgery?
Compiled by the Scoliosis Research Society's Patient Education Committee