Justin S. Smith, MD, PhD
Education Committee Chair
Annual Meeting Educational Sessions
The 57th SRS Annual Meeting, which will be held September 14-17 in Stockholm, Sweden, will once again be offered in hybrid format to allow for our global membership to participate, regardless of their ability to join us in person due to COVID travel restrictions and challenges. The Education Committee has reviewed numerous applications and put together an exciting educational program for the meeting.
The Annual Meeting will kick-off with the Pre-Meeting Course, “Evolution of Research for the Scoliosis Research Society: Defining the R in Our SRS,” on Wednesday, September 14 at 07:30 CEST. It will explore this topic in four sections:
- Early Efforts from Key Centers & Individuals
- Understanding Different Spine Deformity Types
- Expanding Beyond Individual Centers to Multi-Center Collaboration
- Evolution of the Scoliosis Research Society
The premeeting course this year is especially exciting because we will be highlighting several landmark research efforts that have created a foundation for the SRS that will be presented by the original authors. The course will then build upon these research efforts and expand into the pivotal efforts that have evolved within the SRS and are currently underway that will define a path for future excellence via membership engagement and societal diversity.
From there, attendees will have the option to join one of three Lunchtime Symposia:
- Tweeners: To Fuse of Not to Fuse? Treatment of Early Onset Scoliosis in Patients Who Are Not yet Skeletally Mature
- From Alignment to Balance, There is More than One Step
- Cervical Spine: Deformity and Instability Case Controversies
There will be a fourth Lunchtime Symposium on Friday, September 16 opposite the Member Business Meeting, MIS Deformity Surgery State of the Art: What Have We Learned To Avoid and Manage Complications? Non-Members are encouraged to attend this session live and members are encouraged to visit the virtual meeting platform in the weeks following the meeting to review the session.
On Thursday, September 15, attendees will have the choice of two excellent Half Day Course options, Pediatric Syndromic Scoliosis: How to Safely Manage AMC to SED & Everything in Between OR Current Updates in Understanding and Management of Intraoperative Neuromonitoring Alerts, before heading into the beautiful city of Stockholm for a free evening.
The sessions at this year’s Annual Meeting promise to be exciting and engaging. I look forward to seeing you all in attendance!
The Education Committee is also responsible for the selection of the yearly webinar program, consisting of six webinars per year. The committee has selected an excellent variety of topics for the 2022 webinar program.
- April 23, 2022: Parlaying Your SRS Grant into Big Funding: OREF, NIH, Shrine Grants and Beyond (A SRS-POSNA Collaboration
- May 2022: Does Diversity Matter? Can Diversity Improve Spinal Outcomes? Presented by the SRS Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Task Force
- June 25, 2022: Own the Bone: Know How to Identify & Treat Bone Disease Prior to Spine Surgery
- July 23, 2022: A Practical Approach to Surgeon Preservation
- October 15, 2022: Return to Activities after Spinal Deformity Surgery
- November 5, 2022: New Horizons in the Non-Op care of Children and Adults with Scoliosis: Expanding the Use of Bracing and PSSE (Presented by the SRS Non-Operative Management Committee in Collaboration with SOSORT)
All webinar information, including past webinar recordings can be found on the SRS website.